Wild Vine 1/2 Marathon @ WWC

 Dawn was still nearly an hour way when I pulled in to the WWC parking lot. I hesitated to get out of my car. I didn't really want to face the blistery cold temperature and blustery wind. I was right. That warm feeling was immediately stripped away. 

Nothing to do but start running. I needed to stay warm.

The sun was yet to come over the horizon but it was at least light enough for our 8 AM start. Jenn sent us off in sort of a mass start/dispersed start. I tried to step on the gas but nothing happened. I looked down at my legs. They did not want to run fast. Every stride came with a tremendous effort. Then, I am separated from running 100 miles by 13 days. 

Maybe it was a little soon to be back racing. Trouble is; I like running and I like running on the trails.

I settled in with what my legs would give me. 

We started with a little forest road run. We followed it with the Lake Loop, and finally did both East Main and Tributary. 

Before Lake Loop, I was following this guy, and he blows right past the signs saying turn for Lake Loop. I yelled at him but he was already headed in to the parking lot. I turned on to Lake Loop. Where, he catches me but then runs off the course again on the back side of Lake Loop. He passes me for a 2nd time. 

When I first started racing at the WWC, I typically knew where I am going. I hardly noticed their signs. As I got to know them, they often would ask me after the race how it was mark. So much so, that I now pass close attention to the signs. 

In this case, I can only assume this guy wasn't paying attention. At the start of Lake Loop there were numerous signs telling the 1/2 marathoners to turn. One of the things that the WWC guys do do is place confidence markers on the course. Every turn has signage before, during, and afterward. That's why I found it difficult to understand how people miss it.  

Sorry for the tangent. 

This was definitely not my best effort. I finished a little over 2 hours and in 13th place. I was off my time by 10 minutes from last year. Still, I had a good time, and I enjoy grabbing the miles. The leaves have a full spectrum of colors. Simply beautiful to see. 

Hopefully everyone else is getting in some awesome fall miles.


Cool Down Runner Adventures


Comments

Popular Posts