Nocturnal Intel - Part II

 Before the Haigler 12 Hour event, I picked up this USB rechargeable Pluralla Head Lamp off of Amazon. Click here to see it. 

Pluralla has an LED strip across the front and another light on the side. 5 modes are available to utilize the two different lights. The light even has a motion sensor so that I can wave my hand by the light to change the mode. The documentation said that it should get about 2.5 to 4 hours of battery life. That's about what I saw. 

This head lamp diffuse 350 lumens of light over 230 degrees. This is a wider view than my other head lamps. I thought that it would be interesting to see if I liked it or not. At first, yes, it expanded my peripheral vision quite a bit. However, I found that once I got on to the single track trail, I was totally ignoring everything outside of 30 to 45 degrees. In essences for running, the 230 degrees  of light wasn't that much of help, and I was spending light energy lighting areas that I have was not using. 

I also noticed that it created a dark bar in the bottom of my vision. I found it to be like looking over a wall. I don't know the reason why but it took a bit of getting use to. I tried pushing the head lamp further down on my forehead but this didn't seem to help. It was like the light was all projected outward and not outward and downward.  

Many people gave it nearly 5 stars on Amazon. Keep in mind that I was attempting to use it for a very specific task in specialize conditions i.e. a narrow single trail at night. I don't think that this lamp was designed for those conditions. Still I'll keep it. I do plenty of things at night, and having a lamp dispersing 230 degrees of light would be handy. It just isn't a good one for trail running. 


Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts