WWC Memorial Day 8 Miler Trail Race

Getting to do the WWC Memorial Day 8 miler has become a tradition for me the last few years. Well, except for last year when the tradition got broken for everyone. 

This year was perhaps the steamiest in recent memory. The heavy humidity just hung in the air. Nothing evaporated until enough perspiration gathered that it bubbled up and ran off. I felt it most in the woods which quieted everything except the strongest of breezes. 

After few miles to get my legs ready, I headed for the starting line with about 10 minutes til race time. Everyone still maintains their distance but for the most part, only few masks were in the crowd.

Five us started at about the same time. We winded our way around the channel. As we topped the hill and were about to enter the trail, one guy jumps out front. I settle in to forth position. 

We descend down on to South Main. I can see two of them going back and forth. Then, one seems to have put this foot down - literally, and starts to pull away. The other one drops back and is running with the 3rd place runner which is about 20 yards in front of me. 

We turn on Wedge. They seem to be inching away from me in the twists and turns of the trail. Off Wedge and back on South Main, I feel like I am holding my own. 

We come up to the first aid station, and one the guys stopped. He is pouring water in to his mouth. I pass by him fully expecting him to catch back up. However, I never see him again. 

The fast pace that those two had been setting seems to be wearing on the other one as well. Going by Weigh Station, I pass him. He stays close on my heels while we run Toilet Bowl. I don't feel like I run Toilet Bowl well. This was my slowest mile of the entire race. 

Once back on South Main, the open trail is more to my liking. I start to pull away from him. By the time that I hit Lake Loop, I have a nice lead. However, the leader in front of both of us is well out of sight. 

I worked the Lake Loop miles and bounce in to the parking lot. No leader is in sight. 

Not sure where I finished but I ran 55:55 which is respectable for me. Felt good to see things getting more and more normal. 

Side bar here, while I was running Toilet Bowl, I did a double take. For years, there has been this broken toilet bowl next to the trail. I had always assumed that this was how the trail got named. It never really dawned on me how a toilet bowel got out in the middle of the woods. At least it never occurred to me until yesterday. Setting right next to the broken one is a fairly new looking  unbroken toilet bowel. When I passed, I had to turn my head to believe what I saw. This made me wonder how someone got it out here. Those things are heavy and awkward to carry. I am guessing at least two people had to carry it from somewhere. It never ceases to amaze to me what some people will do. Check it out the next time that you are on the WWC trails.   

Cool Down Runner Adventures



 

Comments

Popular Posts