July 1st 50K

A couple of weeks ago, my company decided to give everyone a company holiday on July 1. So, what should I do with it.

I pretty much expected the trails to be quiet so I decided to run some trail miles on my company holiday. It was new month, I figured I would extend it a bit and go for a 50k right on the very first day.

Rolling out at 8 AM, sweat was pouring by the time that my Garmin chimed at the mile. By 3 miles, my clothes were dripping with sweat as well.

I felt good over the first 10 miles. I was drinking more than usual but I had packed extra water just for this case.

Stopping by my car to refuel, I noticed that more cars had arrived, but overall the parking lot was still closer to being empty than full.

By the time that I finished my 2nd 10 mile loop, cars had filled up the parking lot. Although, I never saw anyone actually in the park lot.

Heat and humidity made the last loop more of  a struggle. My pace slowed down. I was drinking more often. I felt okay, but the heat and humidify just seem to amplify my feeling of fatigue. It is like after each loop someone adds 10 extra pounds to my shoulders.

I finished the 31 miles in roughly 6 hours and 10 minutes. I opened my trunk, then opened my cooler, and the taste of the cold water splashing down my throat felt great.

I kept drinking for another 3 hours. Hot days leave me dehydrated, and I need several hours before my body tends to return to normal.

This checked my ultra run for this month. Now, I am off in search of interesting things to do to fill up the other 30 days.

The Cool Down Runner



Comments

Popular Posts