After work miles

I finished up a long day at work, and I decided  that I needed some trails to recuperate. I didn't really think much about how hot that it was. All that I could think about was getting some time on the soft dirt.

Listing to the radio on the drive over, I heard the announcer say that it was 95 degrees with a heat index of 103. Technically, I have run when the temperate was over 100 degrees so running at 95 should be a issue. Right?

Well, I was wrong.

I headed straight for some my favor trail sections which just happen to be covered in pine needles.  Oh, was it hot. Like, it was open your oven on broil hot. Sweat was running off me. My stomach literally just ached. I felt about as lethargic as it gets. My legs felt like I had done 100 miles not 2 miles. I was reminded of a story about a guy training for the Badwater Ultra. He took the exhaust hose off his dryer and directed the air to blow on him while he was running on his tread mill. I don't know if this was the same but I have to image it was close to it.

By 4 miles, I kept trying to ignore how bad that I felt. It was only marginally working.

Around 7 miles, I heard a rumble of thunder in the distance. Suddenly, I found my self at a mental crossed roads. I love to see a cooling rain but thunder typically doesn't mean a cooling rain but a complete downpour and blowing winds. This wasn't necessarily something that I wanted to experience on trail.

I logged a couple of more miles, and then popped out to finish my run around the channel.

Suddenly, I felt a rain drop. Then, two rain drops hit me. The rain cloud was directly over the WWC yet off to the west the skies were clear. Rain was falling on me while at the same time, I was bathed in the sun of a hot summer evening. Honestly, it was kind of nice. It was just the right balance to make me feel better. Yes, those first 9 miles had been rough, but the last mile more than made up for it.

Make the most of every day and enjoy it to the max.

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts