Storms roll across the Charlotte


Heading out for my run this morning, clouds shrouded the sun from my wanting eyes. Sweat bubbled to the surface on my skin. A warm winter day pushed my body in to overdrive.

I tugged at the collar of my running shirt. Hoping, the cool air from the gentle breeze would circulate inside.

Little did I know that this was all about to change.

Drops of rain begin to fall. First, individual, huge drops hit my face. These few drops turned in to a torrent water coming from the sky. More drops than I can count.

Within minutes, the clouds completely opened up. Rain soaked my clothes. I could feel the chill of the water running down my back. This was nothing compared to the stings from the rain drops being driven by the gusting winds against my face.

Gushing water ran along the road’s edge. No place for it to go and no other place for me to run, my shoes and socks absorbed as much as they could. The rest splashed in a huge curved arch out from each step.

Howling winds continued to blow in my face and chilled the backs of my hands.

Pulling up to an intersection, people stared at me as I stood stoically against the pelting elements pounding against my body while the traffic light took its own sweet time changing from red, to yellow, to green for each lane. Likely, these drivers were glad that they were not enduring my fate. Similarly, the warm, dry world of their cars was something that I desperately wanted.  

Days like this create the stories that we tell our buddies during the next run. More so, days like this define the mental toughness that make us who we are as we shape the world around us. Never waste an opportunity to define who you are.

Kickin’ up the trail dust,

The Cool Down Runner







Comments

Popular Posts