Frigid 10k Recap


Headed for the Whitewater Center last Saturday morning for their Frigid 10k and Catawba River plunge.  I was excited about running the 10k. After months of racing there on rain soaked trails, this was going to be a race on a dry course. It was nice to be able to plant my foot and know it was not going to go flying out from under me.

From what I could tell, this was the first year that they held the 10k. The results all listed 5k race times from the previous years.

The 10k was definitely the smaller of the two races. The 5k had numerous waves but the 10k only had a few waves.

We started at the Pavilion, and we headed south to pick up the South Main trial. We popped out along channel, ran around it to the north Main trail, down to the Figure 8 trail. We followed it to the Tortuga trail. We followed the Tortuga to the Thread back to the Figure 8 back to the North Main trail to the finish by the boat dock.

I fell in 6th inline at the start and spent my time slowly picking off runners until I got up to 2nd place. The leader was well out sight.

My goal was to run a controlled race. Outside of my first mile, the rest of my miles were within about 10 of one another so I felt good about my effort.

I will say that I did skip the Catawba River plunge. The temperature was about 45 degrees, and I didn’t really need to prove myself. However, watching others take the plunge, it did look like fun. I may be back and take the plunge.

I ran 50:31 for this course which was bit long even by WWC standards. I had nearly 7 miles on my Garmin. I took home 1st age group award for the 50-54 age group which was a nice WWC throw blanket.

I will wrap up this post by saying their race shirt had a pretty cool design. I could have opted for the hoodie, but last year, I took home 6 hoodies from my WWC runs so I decided to forgo adding another one to my collection.

See you on the trails,

The Cool Down Runner



Comments

Popular Posts