Grizzly 5k Canceled


So last week, I was scanning through my email in box and came across an email from the Grizzly 5k Race Director. I had been expecting as much since the race was to be last Saturday evening.

However, when I popped it open, I was immediately disappointed. They were canceling the race do to low participation.

As I set there reading it not once but a couple to times to make sure I totally understood what I was being told, I was left to wonder how this could happen.

I stumbled across this race a couple of years ago, and it quickly became one of my favorite June Friday races to do. I could get in a race and then take in a baseball game. Not a bad way to spend a Friday evening.

Because the Grizzly's games start at 7 pm, the race went off about 5 PM. This is pretty early start time for weekday race, but they always had a great turnout. This in and of itself always surprised me.

So when they moved it to Saturday, I rather expected a bigger turnout rather than a smaller one.

For some reason, this apparently wasn't the case. The numbers were so few that they took the unusual step of canceling this race.

They were very apologetic for having to do so and offered a refund or a transferring my entry to another of their races. I took the transfer option. I may run one of their other races. I really don't know at this point, I don't plan 5ks that far ahead. They also provided all of the runners with a ticket to the game which I thought was nice gesture on their part.

Overall, they have always did a nice job, and I was really disappointed to not have an opportunity to race it. However, I also understand that these things happen, and sometimes tough decisions have to be made. If the numbers are not there to hold the race, then it is better to not have have it than go into the “red” with it.

Hope they can bring it back next year,


The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts