River Jam 10k Trail Race

Ok, my apologies here, but I need to vent on a particular topic.



Last Thursday evening, I jumped in the last trail race of the White Water Center River Jam 10k Series. Myself and a couple of other runners had been going back and forth over the first 2 to 3 miles of the race.



We had just passed by Wedge Loop exit and were running the long straight path section on one side of the open field. The trail takes a little detour here which is about a tenth of mile, but the section is single track and extremely technical. A lot of people who are just out running bypass this section and if you do, it cuts down both on the distance and time because the path is flat and shorter.



As we are coming of this technical section, there were a stream of runners moving ahead of us. They all had taken the short cut.



I was feeling a little frustrated at that moment to say the least. Passing them back on a road is hard, but passing them on a single track trail is way tougher. Over the next mile or so, I work my way by some of them but others, I never got a chance to run down. The combination of the time bonus from the short cut and then working my way back by these slower runners was just to much of an advantage for them.



I ended up 10th overall with a time of 49:35. This placed me 1st in my age group.



Thinking back afterward, did I miss a sign or something. Maybe I was the one that took a wrong turn. Maybe I should have went straight.



Later, I went back out to check the course again, yeah, I know. I should just let these things go, but this is not one of those times. When I got back to the spot in question, yes, signage did indeed direct us to take the side trail. This means that those runners not only ignored the signs but crossed the ribbon directing us to take the side trail. The only reasonable explanation that I could think is that the race map showed us bypassing this side trail. But still, they should have followed the mark course. Otherwise, why even mark the course in the first place.  



Here's the sad part of any race. All it takes is one runner ignoring the directions and going off course. Runners behind him will follow him like little ducklings following their mother. I suspect that this is what happen here, but I will never know for sure.  



Oh, well, I did get in a pretty good workout. At the end of the day, is anything more important.





The Cool Down Runner








Comments

Popular Posts