The ever changing weather


The weather in Charlotte has just been really crazy the last few weeks. One day the temperature is in single digits. The next day, the weather is nearly 70 degrees.

I am left bouncing between looking for my heavy jacket and even heavier gloves and a singlet and shorts.

Last week, I ran my 10 mile tempo through the snow and wind with the temperature hovering around 20 degrees. This week, I ran my second tempo in the pouring rain with the temperature at a more moderate 39 degrees.

I am still trying to decide which I like better.

One thing is for sure. After experiencing single digit temperatures for a few runs, 39 degrees should feel quite nice for a change.  I just have to set aside the rainy weather for the moment. 

Ok, enough about the weather.

Let’s talk about my tempo run.

My legs seem to be slowly shaking off the post marathon sluggishness. I was 8 seconds faster per mile over last week’s tempo. Ok, maybe not the last thing about the weather. Just because it is miserable conditions outside, I don’t make excuses. The workout goes on just like it would if it were the race day. Running is more mental than physical. I have to “think it” before I can “do it”. But it has to be with a single thought.

Tempo runs has long been my go to workout for building fitness. I have strayed from them in my previous training cycles so I am returning for this one. The nice part about tempo runs, I don’t have to think about them once I am rolling along. I always run them over a known course. I never look at my splits along the way. I run the entire way by monitoring my breathing and general feel in my legs. In my opinion this really helps me because I spend less time worrying about if I should speed up or slow down. Focus should be on running and running alone.

I hope everyone out there is running well and executing their training plans to perfection.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts