Nighttime racing

Recently, I was reading an article about nocturnal racing, and I found my head nodding at the author's comments.

Racing at night removes the distractions that otherwise sidetrack the runner's mind from their effort.

Take my Disney Marathon race earlier this year. We started at 5:30 AM and for the hour and half, I basically ran in a cocoon of darkness. I was only aware of the runners sharing my personal bubble of running space. The darkness shielded my vision of the long straight roads, the uphill grades, and the enormity of the task at hand. The lack of ambient light made me more focused. My concentration centered on where to safely allow each foot to impact the pavement. All other sounds and distractions seemed to drift away. Instead of the miles seemingly passing at a snail's pace, each split give the impression of flowing by like swiftly moving river. A quick nod was given to acknowledge that it occurred before moving forward.

Try it.


 

Sharing on thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts