Palmetto Relay

The Palmetto Relay is just around the corner i.e. this weekend and so much time and effort has gone into getting our team ready. And, now that it has arrived, I am getting nervous and a few butterflies are bouncing around in my stomach.

Occasionally, before a marathon butterflies will flutter around in my stomach but that is about it. Maybe the reason the relay is causing those butterflies to beat their wings so much harder is that I don't want to let me team mates down.

Each of us has our assigned legs and I want to be able to go into each leg giving my best.

My legs are neither the longest nor the shortest. I don't run the fewest more or the most miles. I am setting right in the middle of the mileage count with 16 miles over 3 legs.

Maybe what is making me the most nervous is that I have the last leg – leg 36. The last leg is 6.66 miles to the finish line.

There are three scenarios that keep popping into my mind. We will be slightly ahead of another team and I will have to hold the lead, we will be even with another team and I have to push the pain and fatigue aside and race hard or the last scenario where we are slightly behind and I have chase another team to the finish.

Yeah, this stuff makes me nervous.

I know down deep inside that no matter the scenario that comes to pass, I will give my very best. I can then walk away feeling proud of myself and my team for the effort that we gave.


 

Sharing one thought at time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts