Greek Fest 5k

 With a taste of fall in the air, I had the Greek Fest 5k on my mind. Nothing like a cool morning in late August after several months of hot and humid days. 

A great crowd of runners were taking advantage of this weather and the opportunity to run a pretty flat 5k race. I was one of them. 

Everyone was crowded in to the starting shoot. After DC's extended count down, we were off. 

Running down East Blvd Street is nice. Then, we do the Dilworth Loop before heading back up East Main. A couple of side streets later, and we are making one last trek up East Blvd to the finish. I felt good going out. I settled over the 2nd mile, and I tried to close well headed for the finish. 

I wish that I had more speed work in my legs. My breathing was not super labored, but my legs just didn't have another gear. I felt good all the way to the finish. I hope that I can circle back to this race next and make it a key race on my schedule. I would love to run a little faster. 

As wrap up, I would like to touch on the awards. Last year, they gave out bottles of Olive oil. While this is an unusual award, it was a very useful award. I made use of it for months afterward. This year, they gave out this pre-packaged Greek dessert tray. I think that it had 3 items in it. While this was still an unusual award, I didn't find it as useful. I walked away wondering how many ended up in the trash, never to be eaten. 

I go back a few weeks to the race at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. There, they gave us this plant which supposedly pulls water out of the air. From what I was told, these plants require little to no attention. Which, in my case is a good thing. I have never been known to have a green thumb, but I can say that to the best of my knowledge, this plan is still alive and pulling moisture of the air at my house. So, it is useful indeed. 

I know. Everyone is different. I am sure that there are those that loved this dessert tray. 


The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts