Run Cabarrus XC Invitational Meet

 A couple of months ago, Mike and I were exchanging texted messages. He asked if I could help with their XC meet. Fast forward to a week or so I go, he texted me if my schedule was open on 10/16. To which, I replied that I had just cleared it. And to tell me when and where I needed to be. After all, Mike helped me pull off numerous events, I have quite a debt to work off. 

Saturday morning, dark still covered the landscape when I turned left in to Frank Lisk Park. Grey and Mike were just arriving. I immediately went to work. Whatever needed to be done, I was there to help. 

Seeing the next generation of runners is really awesome. They bring the youthful enthusiasm which I think most of us lose as we get older. 

I don't know how many teams were participating but I do know that they had 300+ runners. The Run Cabarrus group that Mike and Grey coach has nearly 60. From what I tell, they had by far the largest team which goes to show all the effort Mike and Grey are putting in. 

I was certainly impressed. Kudo to them for all the good that they are doing. 

Once the meet was over, I still had 10 miles to run. First, I wondered over their 5k course. Then, I started wondering around the exterior of the park until I got up to the soccer fields. This park has a huge number of soccer fields. Some soft grass sounded nice so I started running the perimeter of those fields. Before I knew it, I had covered about 4 miles. Honestly, my legs really enjoyed the grass. 

It was 4pm when I finally got home. I was tired. I zonked on my couch for the rest of the evening. 

But it was an awesome why to send a Saturday, and I volunteered to help them next year.

Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts