WWC Shot in the Dark 10 Recap 11/2/18


This past Friday night, I headed to the WWC for their Shot in the Dark 10k night race. Of the things gave me pause about this race was the recent rain over the last 24 to 48 hours. In fact the trails at the WWC had been closed much of the week because of the rain. This meant that the trails would be leaf covered and slick.

On my warm up, I found this pretty much to be true.

Both 5k and 10k races start at 7:15 so darkness is well underway. I was sporting my double head lamp combination – wearing one on my head and one at my waist. Going around the channel, the runners were stringing out pretty good. I was thank for this because it was going to allow us to enter the trail without being all jammed up.

I had opted for my trail shoes over my normal racing flats. I hoped that they would give me better traction.

I never went down but I did hit more than a few slick spots. With the leaves covering the trail and everything being wet, I found the trail a bit more difficult to follow in sections.

Given these conditions, I found myself holding back more than usual. To me it was more important to prize my neck over my pace.

After the race I talked to several runners that had gone down. Some of them went down several times. One was even stepped on by another runner.

I placed 10th overall in a time of 48:24. This placed me first in my 50-54 age. Surprisingly, my time as more than 3 and ½ minutes faster than last year. Then, last year, this was really my first night trail race. I had no experience and by in large felt like that I spent most of my time avoiding running in to the trees.

Interestingly, the women made a strong showing on this night. They took the first and 3rd spots overall. I am glad to see this, and I wish more of this happened. I feel like there are a lot of strong and fast women that hit the trails around Charlotte. Hopefully, this strong showing will inspire more of them to come out.

With the arrival of November, I have a few more races on my calendar before I close out ’18. Two will be on the roads, and I plan to close out the year with the WWC 5k in December. Closing out the year with a trial race just like I started the year only makes sense.

Happy Trails,

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts