Lake Norman Turkey Trot 10k Recap 11/22/18



A several weeks ago, I was thinking about my to-do list for Thanksgiving Day. I quickly realized that I needed my run to be early. To motivate myself to get moving, I decided to sign up for the Lake Norman Turkey Trot 10k. The race is close to my house. The course isn’t overly difficult. But truly, the reason for me signing up was the 7:15 start time. 7:15 forced me to get out of bed and moving early. Plus, I would be finished with running before 8 AM.

I was cold walking to the front of Golds Gym to pick up my packet. The sun was still nearly an hour from coming over the horizon. The 34 degrees still bites.

As I getting ready to head out for my warmup, I ran in to a running buddy’s son. Jeff and I have run off and on over the last 20+ years. We spent more than a few of those years racing one another. Now, his son, Beck, is turning out to be a chip off the old block. He was out fast from the start, and he would go on to run 35:01. He took home the win besting me by nearly 3 and ½ minutes.

With Beck pulling away quickly, I settled in to a comfortable pace and focused on running smooth, even miles.

I completed the first lap in 19:05. The second lap, I would slow a bit but not as much as I thought. My legs didn’t feel fluid. More so, they felt like they tying up. Still, 19:20 was pretty good for me.

I was second overall male today.

These Epic guys do an okay job with their races. There are few thinks that I would suggest if they asked, but one a whole, if you have a busy Thanksgiving Day planned and want to get in a race, this could be the one for you.

Happy Trails,

Cool Down Runner



Comments

Popular Posts