Whitewater Center 50k Trail Race Recap


 Forgive me, I am behind in my races recaps but I am attempting to catch up this week.



So back in August, I was planning out my fall marathon training schedule. As part of my training plan, I usually do a 26 to 28 mile run for my last long run 3 weeks out.



Since I have been running at lot trails at the Whitewater Center, and likely, I would be out there on race morning, I decided to sign up for their 50k trail race. At 28 miles, I would need to go another 3 miles, and at least I have some company hopefully during the run. On the bonus side, I would get to reward myself with a nice medal for a very long run. Worth it? At least I think so.



My only real concern with this race was with the race start time i.e. 6 AM. This meant hitting the trails for first 90 minutes by head lamp. This is something that I had never done. Staying up right on the trails is tough enough when there is plenty of daylight. I never found a reason to hit the trails at night and risk breaking my neck.



Race morning, I arrived early so I could see the 50 milers go off at 5 AM. Then, I settled back to rest and wait until our start time at 6 am.



Funny, time crawled by for the first 30 minutes, before seeming to sprint by the last 30 minutes. As I milled around before the start, I ran across Spada. I had no idea that he was running the 50k, but it suddenly felt good to have a familiar face running it. I figured it would make the miles pass much faster.



Pre-race instructions came and soon we were off at 6 AM. A quick parade loop around the Whitewater center, then we entered the trail on the Figure 8 loop. I was nervous and excited at the same time. Having never ran trails at night, my eyes were totally focused on the 5 to 10 yards in front of me. Besides unless I turned head the rest of the world around me was dark.



Spada and I chatted a bit as we settled in to a good pace. There were several guys in our group. A few would pass as we hit an open section but I was comfortable with my pace. I just wanted to get through the first lap, and not kiss mother earth.



Leaving the Figure 8 trail, I took a huge deep breathe. I was nearly 5 miles in and still up right. Watching Spada's reflective shoes dance along in front of me really helped me understand where my feet should go.



Before the Goat trail, I passed Spada. I was starting to feel more comfortable running in the darkness. Of course, the sun was just behind the horizon so that helped.



I wasn't sure how his race was going but I did notice that I was opening a gap on him.



Coming off the Toilet Bowl loop, I made my only screw up of the day. In the week since my last run, they had introduced a change where we went around the long way at the natural gas station. I didn't catch this and took a right too soon, but as soon as I realized it, I back tracked to follow the course as it was design.



This put me back behind Spada. So I had to play catch up. From there, I latched on to him, and we ran in to the start/finish area together. Spada was faster getting things done because I saw him go flying by me before I could gather up my stuff. Nothing sends one's adrenaline flowing like seeing a competitor go flying by.



Back on the trails, I closed up the distance, and soon passed him. For the most part things grew quiet as I let myself slip into my running zone. I focused solely on the few feet of trail right in front of me and nothing else.



Before I knew it, Spada had dropped off my pace. By 6 miles, I wouldn't see any again for the rest of the race.



The second time up the Goat and around the Toilet Bowl weren't that bad. I was well warmed up. The temperature was still cool, but the sun was shinning brightly. I was having fun just flowing along the trail by myself.



The second time through the start finish, I spent a scant few seconds. I looked back as far as I could see but never saw Spada.



As I trudge through the 3rd loop, I could feel the fatigue settling into my body. Lifting my legs required much more focus. The only time that I felt them really balk was climbing Goat Hill for the 3rd time. My hip flexors were none too happy with me.



The 3rd loop was more interesting than the second because I was catching runners in both the 50k and the 50 miler. I love how we pass the encouragement around when we see each other. We all realize that while we were all racing each other, the real challenge is defeating the trail its self.



Coming off the Toilet Bowl loop for the 3rd time, I felt an enormous relief. Barring anything dumb happening, I was going to finish this run with no falls.



Starting the loop around the Whitewater, the feeling of fatigue seem to fade. Don't get my wrong here, I was tired, but this was the good kind of tired where I know that I have accomplished something special.



My first lap was in 1:49:18 this includes the 1 mile parade lap. My second lap was 1:38.57, and my final lap was 1:51:35 for an over all finish time of 5 hours, 19 minutes, and 51 seconds.


According to reliable sources, the 50k course was much tougher than in past years. Likely, by switching out the Lake Loop for the Thread Trail, they were looking to stiffen up the effort needed to complete it.


Personally, this was the longest time that I have ever run in my life. The mileage both officially and guessing was  my longest. My Gramin clocked 33 miles. I suspect the course was closer to 35 or 36 miles. Not to mention, this was my first ever trail 50k. Having run two other 50ks, but both were either greenway or road races. This one was entirely on a trial which presents additional challenges.



What was truly surprising is when the results popped up, and I had finished 2nd overall. I couldn't believe it. There were a number of guys ahead of me during the first two loops, but they struggled home with much slower times on their 3rd lap. I had made up 15 minutes or more on some of them.



So with this race in the books, I am seriously thinking about running the 50 miler next year. Each finisher earns a belt buckle, and running 50 miles would be a new challenge for me.



And, I like challenges.



The Coo Down Runner .










Comments

Popular Posts