Big South 5k Race Recap


Coming off my 50k trail race last Saturday morning, I was worried about racing again to say the least. My legs just don't bounce back as fast any more.



But how could I turn away from one of the best races in the Charlotte area.



Big South 5k ranks at the top of my yearly to do list for two good reasons. First, the course while not overly fast by design always seems to produce great times. I imagine the downhill slant over the last mile and half has something to do with it. My legs start to tire but gravity continues to pull me along. Second, and to me the major reason is the competition. Charlotte on any given weekend will have numerous races. Runners have so many options that often after the first quarter miles, I am back to doing solo time trial. Aside from the t-shirt, I could run a time trial at home. Big South 5k brings out lots of runners. I ran 17:47 on Saturday and was 25th overall. This is the good kind of peer pressure. The type of pressure that propels me to run faster than I thought possible. Thus, this is why I keep coming back.



Anyway, let's talk about the race.



At 8 am, we got the final count down and were off. The uphill start does nothing to discourage the enthusiasm of the runners around me. Everyone seems to be charging ahead. We duck into a side neighborhood before coming back out on the main road again. Funny, side story here, every year, the mile mark seems to move further and further up the road while the 2nd mile is always in the same place. Yet, my splits don't seem to reflect the change.



I pass by the 1st mile mark in 5:50. This is faster than I expected. I am catching a few more runners now as their initial enthusiasm is curbed the lack oxygen going to their legs.



Passing over the top, I catch this 15 year old kid. He is panting harder than one should be for a 5k. We go back and forth on the downhill section to the 2 mile point. I can tell that he is hurting but he is showing some real guts. He isn't giving up. Each time that I pull past him he responds in kind. 5 minutes before I never knew him. Now, we are locked in an epic battle, and I have major respect for the effort that he is showing. In the parking lot by Target, he drops back from my shoulder, I could have said nothing to him and attempted to surge away. I didn't. Instead, I encouraged him to stay with me. We only had a ½ mile to run. He could do it. We round the last corner, and his youthful legs carry him forward. He beats me by a couple of seconds. In the recovery area, he is all bent over. Lungs were still demanding that he supply them with oxygen. I on the other hand slow to a walk still breathing deeply but nothing out of the ordinary. We exchange “good jobs” and hand slaps. I walk on to my car while he continues to swallow as much oxygen as humanly possible.



I am happy with my time. Running a sub 18 minute races have been few and far between these days. I also won my age group which I was a little surprised at this fact. There were several other good runners in the race. I expected them to lead the way.



All in all, my Big South 5k was good confidence booster. I needed it.



The Cool Down Runner




Comments

Popular Posts