Beach Blast 5k, Albemarle, NC


Having run the Beach Blast several times, I know exactly what I am facing. A tough course, a well mark course, plenty of water stops, plenty of police presence on the roads to keep the traffic at bay, and of course, some great post race food and activities. Again, this year, the Uwharrie Running Club and Vac & Dash did nothing to disappoint.

At 8 AM sharp, we rolled off the line under overcast and cool conditions. The late night storm brought down the temperature. This year’s Beach Blast race the coolest that I remember.

The first ½ mile brought out a fast and furious charge from the 15 and under age group. Then, the older and a little wiser of us began to make their presence felt.

By the mile, there was a small gap between myself and the second place runners. By the turn at the top of the hill, the distance had grown quite bit.

At each of the turns, I kept a constant vidual on this gap. Topping the last hill, I made for the finish line in 18:30.

This was my 3rd Beach Blast 5k win, and I have the gourds to prove to it. They are one of my prized awards.

Love going over the Albemarle for their races, they always make me feel welcome.

 

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts