WWC - New South Trail Marathon - Low Power Mode

 I believe that this was my 4th New South Trail Marathon. Every year, they seem to be getting just a little harder. Yesterday, under ideal conditions, I ran my perhaps my slowest, albeit the courses were different each year, time in 4 hours 10 minutes and 59 seconds. I finished 7th overall and won my age group.,

As I said, conditions were awesome yesterday with temp starting out in the upper 30s with breeze blowing. I never felt hot the entire race.  The trails were dry and well-marked. 

I took my time getting into a good pace but once there, I felt comfortable. I went through the 1/2 in 1:54 and change. At the time, I didn't realize it, but I was off just a little. I just didn't have the push off with each step. I was using Propel for my fluids, and GUs for my gels. I had taken 2 during the first half and planned to take two more during the 2nd half. 

By 20 miles, I was moving but not quite as well. By 23 miles, I will describe it this way. If you have an iPhone, and you get down to around 10 to 15 percent of battery life, it offers you the choice to go into what's call "low battery mode". Those last 3 miles, I was very much in low battery mode. I was moving but slower and everything seemed harder. Thinking seemed harder.  I suspect that my blood sugar level had dropped out the bottom. Cutting through behind the pavilion, I took a small tumble. Nothing was hurt just a few scratches, but it shook me awake again.   

Normally, I take my calories and fluids as one only using gels as a backup. Clearly, I should have stuck with this plan yesterday. Hindsight is 20-20. 

If I am back for a 5th iteration of this race next year, I will go back to my notes from this year, and I will not repeat the same mistake. 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts