Brew Dash 12K Recap

 I think that my legs decided that they needed a day off this morning. 

To back up for a second, I headed out to the WWC for their Brew Dash 6k and 12k races. I was signed up and looking forward to doing the 12k race for the first time. In the past, I always seemed to have a conflict on race schedule that prevented me from running this rae. This year, I penciled it in early.

The morning was warm and muggy. Sweat rolled down my brow which accentuated just how much that I was feeling the weather. 

Thomas opened the course at 8 AM, and I quickly left the starting line. The 100 yards on the grass felt good to my legs. However, this was about the end of the"goodyness" in my legs. 

I made a hard right on to the North Main trail, and then turned on to the Figure 8 trail. The moment that I hit the rolling hills on the Figure 8 I knew something was wrong. The tiniest of hills felt like mountains to my quads. I tried pushing through it, but by the time, I turned back on to North Main, I knew that I was in for a long day. 

Down by the river there is this steep hill, this kid went past me sprinting up the hill. What wind that was in my sails quickly quieted to knowing leaving me in the doldrums. 

Every uphill seemed to be enormously long. 

I past the 6k turnoff and quietly wished that I was running it. 

The rest of the course took me on to South Main and then on to Carpet before returning to South Main. I don't typically like vs dislike certain trails. Today, I wished that I was running any other trail than Carpet. Each hill kicked my rear. The seconds were ticking by faster than my legs were turning over. 

I exited South Main by Lake Loop and headed across the parking lot. I then realized that I had to take the scenic route behind the pavilion to the finish. 

At this point, my legs were just turning over. I had already resigned myself to get to the finish and put a done stamp on this race. 

I finished in 1:03:22. This definitely not my best effort. But then, not every race will be my best effort. Just like not every race will be my worst effort. I guess that I am do. I have been running on borrowed time lately. 

Here's hoping your race weekend awesome. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures

Comments

Popular Posts