Veteran’s Day 50k

Each month, I have been trying to run at least one 50k training run. November looked to be a tough month to do one. Until I realized that I was going to have Veteran’s Day off from work.  Things, I thought, were going to fall in to place for a good run. That’s when the weatherman started talking about super humidity and a super warm day not to mention the potential for rain and maybe even thunder storms. This is not what I think about when it comes to November days.

Getting out my car, I peeled off my shirt and tossed it into the back of my car. No way was I going to wear a shirt for 31 miles. I was already too hot.

I pulled on my CamelBak which by the way was loaded down with H20 and clicked my Garmin. I headed off on a sticky, warm, overcast morning.

Rounding a turn, I felt the vibration from my Garmin. I thought to myself; I have 30 more miles to run.

As if I were Adam Sandler in the movie “Click”, I pressed the fast forward button. The world around me seemed to stream by. The wind blew in to my face, and I felt good. I turned directions, and I suddenly only felt the heat and humidity of the day. I seem to remember the sun coming out and going way. Blues skies came and went. A man’s dog was growling at me. Two women were hiking along the trail.

Then, as if on que, I felt the tiniest of vibrations from Garmin. 30 miles were in the books, and I had one to go. Time I returned to the present.

I slowed to a walk at the next chime. I had checked my 50k box for November.

I never did see the any rain or thunderstorms. Honestly, I might have liked to have one or two. I went through all of my water. The unusual warm and humid weather didn’t do me any favors. My body quickly forgot the dog days of summer and embraced the cool weather and low humidity days of fall.

Let's part this evening with the following thought. 

Special thanks to the men and women of our arm forces past and present for their service. We enjoy the freedoms that we have because of their efforts. They deserve our praise.

 

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts