“We believe in Santa” 5k Race Recap 12.16.17

With the “We believe in Santa” 5k at the Whitewater Center this past Saturday, my '17 racing season came to an end.



I settled on the Whitewater Center's race just because I have been running on the trails a lot the latter part of this year. But to be totally honest, the noon time start also had something do with it. Still, the temperature was only in the mid 40s. But at least, the sun was out to provide the mere illusion of heat.



My race went about as I expected. I ran 20:13, finished 9th overall, and 1st in the 50-54 age group. I did get a little scare when Corey showed up at the starting line. Corey usually beats me quite handedly on the trails



There were plenty of young guns to take things out hard. In fact, I was surprised when I went through the first mile in 5:57. Never to my recollection have I went through a mile there in under 6 minutes. Of course, the second mile totally kicked me back to reality. A monstrous hill took me from running to barely going above walking pace. By the time that I topped it, not only were my lungs burning from the cold, but my heart was pounding out of my chest, and my legs had that feeling as if they were going to collapse under me at any second.



But with a couple of guys like carrots on a stick just in front of me, I trudged forward. We darted in to the trail section by Lake Loop, and then back out to pick up the all terrain trail.



Recently, they put in these water breaks on the downhill section. Yes, I know it helps slow erosion, but they were not helping my running.



Looking ahead, I could see one of the guys was struggling on the up hills. With each climb, I narrowed the distance, but on each down hill, he would go screaming down it. No fear at all.



I closed the distance, and caught him just as we neared the back side of the Whitewater center. But I was in troubled. I used up everything getting to him so as soon as the trail flattened out he went right back by me.



I fell in behind him going up the last hill before the finish. I knew full well that he would be sprinting away and yes, he did – all the way to the finish line.



Yet, I still enjoyed the back and forth racing. He kept me racing hard all the way to the finish.



For now, I am putting my racing shoes away. Nothing to-do but knock out some easy miles and enjoy the reminder of '17 because before any of us realize it, '18 will be here along with an awesome number of races.



Best in running



The Cool Down Runner
















Comments

Great Racing there!! You had a very good year, keep up the great work!
Thanks, Cesar. Hope you are able to get in some miles.

Popular Posts