Tuckfest - 5k - final event

 After my 1/2 marathon, I walked back to my car to clean up my wounds. I set there for a few minutes, and then after looking at my watch, I decided that I would spend the next couple of hours hanging out by the water. 

I didn't realize how tired was until I settled in to my chair. They had cranked up the water pumps so the white noise of the water flowing filled the air. A gentle warm breeze blew across me. Before I realized it; I had drifted off for a nap. 

About an hour or so had passed until I woke with a start. I immediately checked my watch. I didn't want to miss my race. 

I rested for a few more minutes before heading back to my car. I had about 30 minutes to the race. 

When my legs are tired, everyone seems to go out super fast. When my legs are really tied, everyone looks like Usain Bolt. 

I tried to settle in to a comfortable pace at the start. We turned left by the boat docks to enter the North Main Trail. Dropping down on to South Main, I was "willing" my legs forward. I just kept reminding myself that this was only 3 miles. 

I don't know if the sun was just hotter, or I was just working harder. Either way, I was sweating pretty heavily. 

When I passed by Weigh Station, I knew that I had a little more than a mile to run. I focused on getting to the finish. 

This time, I didn't have anyone breathing down my neck. 

I crossed the finish line. I stood there for a moment. I was glad to be finished. 

I walked over to where the results were being displayed. I was third overall. Apparently, I had worn everyone else done. I scored a Tuckfest Medal which was super nice. 

One would think now that I would just go home and rest. Not!. 

After the awards, I sprinted for my car to head home. I had to be at Carowinds at 4 PM to ride in a monster truck. So after running 40 miles of racing in 3 days, I spent the rest of the day at Carowinds walking around. 

Let's just say that when my head hit the pillow on Sunday night, I had no trouble drifting off to sleep. 

That's the life of the Cool Down Runner 

Comments

Popular Posts