Tuckfest - Friday night 4 Mile Trail race

 Last night, something happened to me which I had long vowed would never happen. I started in to the woods, and my head lamp went from shinning like the sun to producing little more light than one of those Bath & Body Works candles. Clearly, this was not how I envisioned this race going, and too my credit, I did check the batteries. However, the light looked strong so I decided to not swap them out. That's one mistake that I will absolutely never make again. 

Fortunately, an angle named Jodie came long, and she was kind enough to let me tag along for the last couple of miles. 

Following someone else to leverage their head lamp is something that I would never recommend.

Where the trail went in a straight line, I could roughly see the outline of the roots. I made sure to pick up my feet. Where the trail twisted back and forth, I was actually ok. As Jodie turned her head around, her light would illuminate the ground in the turn, and I knew just where to place my find.   

Interestingly, Jodie stumbled several times and fell once. I helped her up, and we continued along the trail. It just struck me that she was the one stumbling and falling. In all honesty, I should have been the one stumbling and or falling. Not having a head lamp likely made me even more on alert and more careful. 

We ran to the finish together, and I thanked her several times. I could not have finished without her assistance. 


Cool Down Runner - Dark Adventures

 


Comments

Popular Posts