Mo Big Butt 50k

  With the change of ice and snow, I was a little worried about driving down to Lancaster for the Mo Big Butt 50k. But luck was on my side, the storm was mild and the roads were mostly in good shape. 

My right leg still isn't in the best of shape so I was a little worried about how this race might go. 

We started at 7 AM, and I spent of the first lap monitoring how my leg felt. It wasn't a 100% by any means but it was holding it own. 

I dressed a little warmer than I would normally. I quickly found myself overheating. I had my beanie pushed up on the top of my head and fingers sticking out my gloves. My 1/2 zip top was as far down as it would go. 

Lap 1 was quickly in the books so I headed out on lap 2. Temperature hadn't changed much but the wind was starting pick up. It pushed back on the way but on the way back I could feel it pushing me along on the return trip. 

With 12+ miles in the books, my quad was manageable. 

The wind seemed to be swirling now. First, I could feel it blowing in to my face and the at my side. Snow from the tree sprayed road and me. 

At 18+ miles, I had two laps to complete. Two miles in, I was now running further and faster than I have run in nearly two miles. Both legs were not too happy with me. Also the sun was now out so most of the icy spots on the road. All except for one which never melted the entire race. Each lap, I treaded lightly through it. 

Finishing up 24+ miles, I could feel both legs start to tighten from the building fatigue. As much as I wanted to push through it, this wasn't the day to do so. I settled in to what felt comfortable and finished out the last 10k.  

I crossed the finish in 4 hours 12 minutes and 2 second to finish 3 overall. This was way faster than I expected, and I checked my most important box - finished all 31 miles running. 

Mo Big Butt is same course that they run in the summer time. However, it is a lot cooler. At least today, it was cooler. The 5 x 10k loops make it a great training course for logistics. While I carried my CamelBak, I really didn't need too. Also while the course weaves up and down along country road with pretty light traffic, there is a couple of nasty steep little hills in the park section. The course is 99% road with one small trail section leading to and from the park road. 

The race is definitely worth a look if you are looking for a 50k race in a short driving distance of Charlotte. 

Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts