WWC New Year's Eve 10k

The WWC had several events surrounding New Year's Eve. The first of which was their 10k race which started around 6 pm. 

I was excited to hit the trails for some after dark running. Thomas has his creative gene working well as they had us going down on Rabbit, Figure 8, Tortuga, Thread, and the across the park for South Main and Slalom. 

About 1/2 a dozen guys jumped out quick. We quickly strung out on Rabbit. 

Then, we dropped down on North Main headed for Figure 8. As I dropped down in to the trail, I could see the runners ahead of me turning left to stay on North Main. I called out wrong way but they were heads down heading down North Main. I suddenly found myself leading. The guy behind me said something about are we going the right way. I pointed to the course markers as if to illustrate my point. 

I figured those guys would figure things out pretty quick and be catching up quick. I still had 6 miles to run so I was fully expecting to see them again. 

I popped out back along the channel. Let's just say running backwards up the entrance to the North Main trail head was a pain. I don't do this too often. 

As I was rounding the channel, I didn't see anyone close behind. 

I dropped down on South Main, and I headed out along the river. I always love running this section. 

As I was rounding by the Goat trail, I got a chance to look back along the course. I could see head lamps in the distance. 

At the bottom of Slalom, I could see a head lamp just starting it. I pushed a little harder because they were definitely closing. 

Coming out of the woods and into the parking lot I had a several hundred yard lead. I got this one. 

None of them caught me.

I took home this nice champagne award for my efforts. Honestly, I felt kind of bad about it. I would have not placed that well if those guys had not gotten off the course. I have gotten off course a few times so I understand how it can happen and how it feels. 

I guess, luckily, I knew where I was going so I kept the rest of the field on the right course. It would have been a colossal disaster if everyone headed down North Main. 

Note, before the 5k later that night, they added more arrows to help everyone stay on the right path. 

Cool Down Runner enjoying the WWC night life.   

Comments

Popular Posts