Nursing a nagging injury

 So going back about a month ago, I was running the We Believe 5k at the WWC. About a mile or so in to the race, I rolled my right ankle. It hurt but after a few strides, I thought that I had shrugged it off. After all, rolling one's ankles on a trail comes with the territory. 

My ankle felt sore the next day but I didn't think much about it. There was a little swelling and a little tenderness but nothing preventing me from running. Over the next several days, I noticed a tightness along my Achilles. By the next week, on medial side of my right knee it hurt to run. 

I eased off on the workouts but things were not feeling better over the next week. 

The last week of '21, things felt a little better. 

Then, I went to run the New Year's races at the WWC. Not the wisest of things that I have ever done. 

Then, while running along on the Thread trail during the 10k, I rolled the same ankle again. I admonished myself  over the last half of the race for even being out there running along and at night. 

Of course, no one ever accused runners as being among the smartest of the human race. 5 hours later I ran the 5k race. Oh, my legs were so tight, and my right leg hurt so bad. I kind of just survived it.

I went home and iced both down. 

Next morning, I went back and run the 10k and surprisingly 2 minutes faster than the night before. Go figured.

Since then, I have continued to nurse it along. 

While I am sure that it would heal faster if I wouldn't run on it, my streak pushes me out the door. Thus, my recovery is slow going. 

So if you see me out running or racing in the coming weeks just know that I am running on 1 good leg and dragging one leg. 

I think this is what sets runners apart from others in this world. We understand that some time pain is part of the journey if we want to get from point "A" to point "B". 


Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts