WWC River Jam 10k - Sept Edition

 What a difference four weeks make. I rolled in to the WWC parking on Thursday evening. Before turning off the switch, I glanced at the temperature. It was barely 80 degrees. The humidity was mild, and a gentle breeze was blowing. All I could think was that the running gods must be smiling down on me. 

I grabbed a few warm up miles and headed for the starting line. I realized that my shorts were barely dampen with sweat. This was definitely a good sign. 

Tom open the course at 5:30 on the money, and several of us were off an running. I had to dig in to to catch up with the runners around me. We hit the woods, and the temperature felt awesome. I swung down along the river, and my body was loving the breeze blowing inward. 

Over by 85, I was climbing the hill, and my legs felt like they were struggling a bit. I quickly shorted my stride and increased the turnover to hopefully compensate. It worked. When I topped the hill, my legs felt better, and I shifted to another gear.

I crossed under the power line and headed in to the 3rd mile. I rounded one corner when I stepped on a rock. It rolled under my foot, and my arms were fray ling in the air as I fought to stay on my feet. I am not sure how did it but I did. I quickly shook off the near fall and pushed onward. 

Every straight section I pushed hard. I was feeling good and didn't want to leave anything for the end. As always my favor section is crossing the parking lot and running around the channel. I met numerous runners making their way outward on the course. 

When I glimpsed the finish line, I glanced at my Garmin. I saw 44:20. I pushed with all that I had but sadly a sprinter I am not. I came up 4 seconds over the mark with 45:04. Still this was 50 seconds faster than I have run all of this year, all of last year, and I think all of '19. My, has it been that long. I don't know what got in to me, but I hope that it stays around for a few more weeks. I will need every bit of it for my 100 miler. 

Here's hoping that you are enjoying this awesome fall weather. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures

Comments

Popular Posts