Hoka Clifton 8

 The last couple of weekends, I have been test driving a pair of Clifton 8s. I am pretty sure that I will be using them for my 100 miler in a couple of weeks. 

The last time, I went with my Carbon X, and by 60 miles, I had enough of them. My feet were hurting. They are good shoe but they maybe not 100 miles good - at least for me. 

This time around, I am focusing on cushioning and room. I need to save my legs and feet for a long as possible.

I need the extra room because my feet tend to swell a slightly over a 100 miles. With the extra toe box room in the Clifton 8, they are near ideal for my needs. 

As for the cushioning, let's face it. With most shoes, the soles can take only so much pounding per run. Then, the absorption fades away.  From my runs in the Hokas, I'd say this is around 34 miles. I think that I can stretch this to 50 miles during this run, but I am going to be prepared at 34 miles to change. The 30 seconds lost to changing my shoes is well the support provided by the new shoes. 

If you are running an Ultra this focus on getting your shoes right and success will follow. 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts