WWC Labor Day 15k

 I started out the door this morning, and I realized that I am going to need a running shirt. After what has seemed like endless days of summer heat, fall may not have officially arrived but it fell like it. 

The WWC guys opened the course for their dispersed start at 7 AM. I shook my head. I could not get myself going for a 7 AM start. I figured that an 8 AM start was more my speed. 

After a quick channel loop to start the race, I dropped down in on the North Main trail. I came up on a few runners but they everyone on the go along to get long agenda. 

I turned on South Main, and I was headed out for the section along the river. When I rounded a blind turn, I met another runner and his dog head-on coming at me. The dog went nuts and was instantly at the end of his leash trying to get at me. The owner was trying to hold him back and looking at me like I was doing something wrong. I didn't know what to say. I stopped and just looked at him and stayed out of the reach of his dog. The whole thing would probably have been avoided if the owner had just ran the trails as they are marked. I see this far to often on the trails at the WWC. People run them backwards. Honestly, when I am rounding a turn, I am not expecting someone to be coming right at me. For the very same reason, I don't drive the wrong way on a one way street. 

Still fuming a bit from my recent encounter I headed along the river section of the trail. I picked up Wedge, and then on around to Lake Loop. There were a lot of runners on Lake Loop but it has numerous passing spots. This section was otherwise pretty uneventful. 

Across the parking lot, I entered the last trail section behind the pavilion for the final trail section. Popping out along the channel, I was met with numerous runners starting either the 5k or the 15k. I moved across so I could take them all to my left. 

Crossing the finish line, I looked at my Garmin. I ran 1:13:28. 

Thinking back on the race, I really felt that I left something on the table. The hills felt too easy, but I think that it was because I wasn't pushing hard enough on the other sections. To me, this is one of the downsides to using a dispersed start. The race becomes more of a time trail. It is all about pushing one's self. I feel like I can push myself, but when it comes down too it, having someone on my shoulder makes me push just that little bit more. Isn't everyone this way. 

After grabbing 7 more miles after the race, I swung by the trailer to check the results.  I was surprised to see that I was leading. I don't know if I kept the lead or not. There was still another hour to go. I guess that I will find out on Monday. 

Big thumbs up to the WWC guys. I always enjoy this race. 

Cheers and have a great Labor Day weekend,

Cool Down Runner Adventures



Comments

Popular Posts