South Mountains State Park Long Run

 I was thinking that I wanted something a little different this weekend. I felt like I needed something a little different. I hadn't been to South Mountains for a run since January. Now seemed like a good time to bank a long run. Not mention get in some good climbs and good long descents. 


I headed out from the visitor center around 7:45. I followed the River Trail to Turkey Ridge Trail. This where the real climbing started. From Turkey Ridge, I headed up Little River Trail, and then on to Upper CCC trail. This pretty much puts me on the ridgeline. At this point, I am running the perimeter of the park. 

I don't know that I would call running the ridgeline rolling hills. There are definitely some that shrink my steps to a few inches a part. However, the views to the north and to the south are awesome. 

I followed Upper CCC around to Horse Ridge Trail and then on to Lower CCC trail. The fire road smooths out in these sections. After Lower CCC, I picked up Benn Knob Trail which takes me up to nearly 3000 feet. 

After this there are few climbs on the Raven Rock Trail but for the most part, the trails starts to descend back in to the valley. I had the option of following this trail down but I opted for taking the single track Saddleback trail. 

Aside from meeting one person at the start of the Raven's Rock Trail, I did not seen anyone else. From Saddleback onward, I did meet a few riders on horse back making their climb upward. In these sections I would either slow to a walk or stop and yield to them. The last thing that I wanted was to spoke one of these horses. To that end, I was successful. We all shared the trail without any issues. 

I could not have asked for a better day for a run off the asphalt. 

Looking for a nice long run on some fire roads or single track trails. South Mountains has plenty offer. Go check it out. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures

Comments

Popular Posts