Refueling for Point 2 Point Courses

Having never run a point to point race, I probably over analyzed my refueling strategy for Cooter Creek. But how could I not. All of my experiences so far has been running on loop courses. Meaning, I could easily plan out my refueling for every lap. 

Running point to point, I don't have this option. I either had to carry it, or I had to depend on the kindness of what the race had too offer. 

Chad had told us that he would have Gatorade, water, and soda plus snacks at the aid stations. There would be only water at the intermediate water stations. 

That's pretty good. I could survive on this if I needed too.

However, I knew that I needed a little more. 

The aid stations alternated between just water and a buffet. Each station was roughly 5 to 7 miles apart. They always fell in the pattern of water and then a buffet throughout the course. 

With this mind, I started to plan accordingly.

I planned to stop at the buffet aid stations. I would carry enough Tailwind to get me about 12 to 13 miles which was roughly the distance between buffet aid stations. 

Because I didn't want to carry all of that water, I opted for portioning out my Tailwind in to ziploc bags to carry in my CamelBak. 

I would then pour the Tailwind in to the CamelBak and refill it with water. 

Between the aid stations, I would be grabbing handfuls of Sports Beans from a large ziploc bag and eating several chocolate gels. I figured that this would be enough calories to get me through.  

I choose to lump all the Sports Beans in to a single bag since it was just easier to open, scope up a handful, and lock it back.

So this was the plan, and how did work? 

I skipped the first water station, but as planned stopped at the first buffet station. Although, I came in to the aid station having not totally thought this part through. 

I was suddenly scrambling to get out my dry Tailwind and pour it in to my CamelBak. This may sound simple but it is not. I didn't have enough hands. I was trying to unscrew the lid which is purposely very tight. Pouring in the Tailwind was a total disaster. I think that I only got 1/2 the Tailwind in my CamelBak. The rest covered outside changing the color to white. Their water was in an Igloo so I trying to push the little button on it while holding the CamelBak and pushing the bladder inward so the water stayed inside. 

To say the least, I learned a bunch in about 3 minutes. 

Before departing, I also took a couple of cups of water. 

During the next 5 miles, I pulled out my Sports Beans and a gel. I followed this strategy throughout the race. 

The next buffet aid station came at about 27 miles. This time, I put my experience from the first aid station to use. 

Once I could see the aid station, I continue running while pulling off my CamelBak and pulled out my Tailwind. As I got closer to the station, I opened the lid, squeezed the bag inside to release the contents. It wasn't perfect. Tailwind still got everywhere but I got more inside than outside this time. At the aid station, I had the CamelBak ready so I all that I needed to do was fill it with water. 

This was much better. I also took more water and Gatorade. Tailwind is awesome but there are times where my taste buds just demand something different. 

By the 3rd aid station, I had the process down except for the Tailwind portion. Being so dry, pouring it from a bag is just hard. Tailwind filled the air. 

At the last aid station, I pushed the entire Tailwind bag in to the CamelBak, and I released it. This probably isn't the most sanitary technique but it works.

I should also share that as I realized that the temperature was rising, I started adding more water in my CamelBak. I was definitely drinking more. I was completely empty upon reaching the 3rd and 4th aid stations. 

Looking back now, I learned so much in this race. Putting the Sports Beans in one larger bag was a good idea. It was easy to open, scope out a handful, and lock back. The gels are what they are. I did realize that I needed to eat them once I go closer to the aid stations. I am not one for littering in the woods and I don't like carrying them. 

I will have to put some more thought in to the Tailwind containers. Using the ziploc bags worked really well for carrying the Tailwind but getting it from the bag into the bladder is not an easy process. It was probably good that I was heavy on the scope portions so I was probably getting the right amount. 

Interestingly, I have never tried mixing Tailwind in the bladder before this race. Usually, I mix it and then pour it in to the bladder. However, after the race, I could find no residual of Tailwind in the bladder. Either I did a good job shaking it up or the jostling from running added to mixing. Either way, it is definitely something to note for the future. 

Like every race, my experience grows. I would love to do another point to point course. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures


    





Comments

Popular Posts