New South Marathon Race Recap

 Two weeks flew by fast, and I found my self heading for the Whitewater Center's New South Marathon on Saturday. I had some butterflies to say the least. Being just two weeks removed from running 100k and the week of, I strained my left calf during an interval work, I didn't really know what the cards might hold for me. 

Luckily, Mother Nature was on my side with a crisp 27 degree morning. 

10 minutes before the start, I rolled out of my car and headed for the starting line. WWC was using the dispersed start but they still had a several hardy souls wanting to take advantage of the cooler temperatures. 

I spotted a few familiar faces in the crowd. 

Just before the clock clicked over to 8, Jenn came up and gave us a some last minute instructions about the course. For one, they had wheel measured the course vs. GPS measured. Actually, the course was completely different from two years ago. We were running the Tread Nightly/Tread Brightly course for '18. Honestly, it is trail so the distances is really an "ish" anyway. We all run the same course which is all that matters to me. 

Several of us rolled off together, and I settled in to a nice spot as we dropped down on to the South Main trail. 

One guy pass me along the runner but then slows when we top the hill by power line. I catch another guy on the East Main section. Then, I am pretty much by myself for the rest of the first lap. I can occasionally see them when the could winds back on itself. 

Along the way, my brain keeps running a check on my calf and the thought lingers if it will hold up for 26 miles. 

I finish East Main and drop out on the gravel road back to the start/finish. If you familiar with the WWC, then, you will know that here is likely the longest and steepest hill at the WWC. Today, I was running it twice. 

As I circled by my car, I picked up a fresh Camelbak for my second lap. I had checked with the race director before the race just to make sure that it was okay. I saw the two guys leading the marathon heading back out as I was heading to make the loop by the start/finish. 

I crossed the start/finish line in 1:37 and change. 

As dropped down again on to South Main, I realized so far so good with my calf and gave it no more thought. If it held up for 13, it should be good for the entire distance. 

Turning on East Main, I started catching more and more 1/2 marathoners. I lost count of how many that I passed. 

I did notice that my legs were starting to fatigue. I could tell the difference especially when I was climbing the hills. 

I was working the final section of East Main. While working my through a couple of slower runners, I was checked over my shoulder at a runner that I had been chasing me for the last hour. In doing so, my eyes left sight of the trail, and in doing so, I went down hard on my right side. It stung pretty good, but in a total "man" moment, I bounced back up and took off running. Show no weakness even when my left was aching along with my hands and arms. 

I lumbered along for the next mile or so but it all started to fade. 

Like always, the gravel hill looked longer and steeper. 

I finished 4 overall in 3 hours 21 minutes and 20 seconds and placed first in my age group. 

Someone asked me if I thought the 100k took something out of my legs. I would lying if I said that it didn't. At the same time, I was tired after running 26 miles but honestly, my legs were not hurting anything like the pain of 100k. I was back out the next day for 10 miles on the trails and felt fine. 

Then, I wondered if I could have run harder. 

There is no way to ever know for sure. Best if I enjoy each of the moments and move on to the next next. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures



Comments

Popular Posts