WWC BrewDash 12k

 I ran the WWC BrewDash 12k today. Even with the race starting at 8 AM, I was hot. I found some shade to wait the final few minutes beforehand. 

We started by running around the channel with both the 6k & 12k runners starting at the same time. I liked that we were kind of strung out before hitting the trails. There were 4 or 5 of us running together. 

I was able to get a quick look at the 12k leaders since we had a quick course split. The 12k race added in Carpet. 

After passing a few runners, I fell in behind this kid. I found out later that he was 12 years old. The remainder of the race was an interesting experience. 

Every time that I would pull up next to him, he would sprint away. I do mean sprint. I chased him along South Main and Lake Loop. 

At one point, he gapped me by maybe 30 yards. It was during this section that I saw him miss a turn on the course.  I yelled "hey, kid. Wrong way". I guess he heard me and looked back. A minute or so later, he came flying by me. Adrenalin was definitely flowing inside of him. He just motored away. 

He ended up beating me by 5 or so seconds. 

Replaying the race back in my head, I thought about how differently adults and children race. An adult may throw in a surge but never really go all in by sprinting - at least for the most part and not in the middle of a race. Children just understand that they want to stay in front. They sprint. In his case, he sprinted pretty much all out. 

Strangely, the longer the race went and the more he held on to his pace, the more that I was rooting for him. 

After the race, I walked up and congratulated him on his strong run. 

Kudo to all the finishers today in both events. I hope everyone enjoy taking home a little trail dust from the WWC. 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts