WWC River Jam - July Edition '21

 When I looked at the weather forecast early in the week, I was worried that Elsa might coincide her arrive with this race. As she came up the coast, everything leaned toward a wet morning but an otherwise dry afternoon. I was looking forward to racing so I hoped that things would work out.

And, they did. Elsa paid a quick visit to Charlotte. She dropped some rain but not that much. As she disappeared in to the distance hot and humid sunny skies layover Charlotte. 

I did an easy run over the course. Only a few spots were slippery which was surprising given the rain. I was excited to get going. 

Jamie, Troy, and I went off at the same time. They let me lead the way in to the woods. There was a small breeze blowing while we were running around the channel but dropping down in to the woods there was nothing. Sweat quickly started running down my temple. 

Troy and Jamie were so close behind me that I couldn't see them on the turns. I could hear their foot steps and their breathing. Somewhere around the Weigh Station section, Jamie dropped back. I didn't know it at the time as Troy was pushing me to run harder. 

That was quite the contrary to what my legs were wanting. 

We turned on to the Lake Loop, and when we started around the first lake, Troy put on a strong move. I tried to stay with him but I just didn't have the gears to do so. 

When I popped out in to the parking lot, Troy had opened quarter mile or more gap on me. 

I chased hard all the way to the finish. 

He beat me by a good 45 seconds or so. I was in at 45:59. I finished about 45 seconds in front of Jamie. 

Between the sun beating down and the humidity, I just hoped someone would open the oven door. I was hot. 

After the race, we all set on the grass and talked about the race. 

We are not quite there but life seems to be returning to normal. 

Looking forward to the August race. Hopefully, I can close some of the gap withTroy. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures. 



 

Comments

Popular Posts