3 by 1.75

I have been wanting to get back to Crowders Mt. for a while, and today seemed like a good day to do it. I wanted something where I could push the pace without worrying too much about ending up on my hands or worse my face. 

I figured the Tower Trail would do the trick. From the parking lot to the radio tower door, the distance is a solid 1.75 miles. Needing about 10ish miles, three laps should be enough. 

I had a rough recollection of how much the road kicked up especially toward the top. I feel like my memories were being kind to me. It really kicked up. 

The first lap was the roughest since I literally launched right in to the climbing. By time that I reached the top sweat was dripping from the bill of my cap, and my sun glasses were completely fogged over. I think the higher that I climbed the worse the humidity felt. 

I pressed going downhill and circled by my car to take on some water before heading back up for lap two. This time, I left my sun glasses in car. Between the overcast sky and canopy coverages of leaves, I didn't need them. Sweat dripped from finger tips when I would shake out my hands. During this loop, I noticed that the wind was no where to be found. 

At the top, I fell in behind another runner starting his decent. He was fast on the steeper downhill sections but when we got to the more mellow sections, I was able to real him back. He turned around by the Backside trail entrance while I headed on for the parking lot and more water. 

Knowing I was on my 3rd and final lap seemed to bring a little extra spring to my step. I focused on keeping my head up and stride short. Rounding one of the curves near the top, I spotted the CamelBak of the guy that I had been chasing on the decent. 

He had already given over to walking at this point. Yes, this hill wears on everyone. I passed him and pushed on for the top. 

Fog still covered the surrounding area so I was disappointed that I was able to get a better view. 

Going downhill for the final time, I tried to only tap the brakes a occasionally. 

Three laps ended up being about 11 miles. 

What really surprised me was the number of people walking this trail. Honestly, this kept the entire run interesting. I saw other runners attempting what I was doing. Not sure how far that they were going. I do know that they were doing multiple laps. Lots of people were walking the trail. Many took the time to stop and rest along the way. I totally get it. I wanted to walk on several sections as well. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures 


Comments

Popular Posts