Did I really see an SUV on the trail

 Yesterday evening, I finished up work a little after 5 pm. I stepped out side and was met with sweltering heat and humidity. I really didn't feel like pounding the pavement for 10 miles so I walked back in grabbed my keys and headed for the WWC. Time to knock out some trail miles under a canopy of leaves.

Just putting on my shoes, I was already starting to sweat. Yet, once I dropped down in the trails, I felt pretty good. I headed down Figure 8, Tortuga, Thread, and then on to North Main. A few Mt. bikers were lurking on the trail but it was otherwise quiet. I ran in to this one woman who seemed to be making up her own trail since I ran in to her 3 times in two miles. 

After North Main, I dropped down on to South Main. Always, down along the river is my favorite section to run. A gentle breeze is always blowing. I picked up Tower and Wedge before continuing on.

I passed by Weigh Station and Toilet Bowl. I passed on under the power lines. Glancing at my Garmin, I had about a mile to run. 

I was already thinking about dinner when I came on a group of Mt. Biker stopped on the trail. At first, I could only see that some caution tape had been put up. This had me wondering if they were making some trail alterations. 

That's when I spotted it. There was SUV rammed in to a tree. My eyes didn't want to believe what I was seeing. I was having trouble making sense of not only how they got here from the parking lot but how did they make it this far down the trail with running in to a tree hand. Truth, it was not the heat and humidity getting to me. 

All I could do was run on while shaking my head. 

Human beings do some amazing things and more often than not by accident rather than on purpose.


Cool Down Runner Adventures  

Comments

Popular Posts