WWC River Jam 10k Virtual Run - Aug. Edition

 The window for running the Aug WWC River Jam 10k opened on Thursday at midnight. I was hoping to get in a early run before the heat and humidity got too bad. I was wrong. It was already warm but the humidity was insufferable. I shouldn't really expect otherwise. This is Aug. Heat and humidity are the norm rather than the exception. 


I could have push back this run but with rain looming over the next few weeks, today had to be the day. 

So I pushed away from the starting line. 

Rounding the channel and climbing the hill I pushed back my sunglasses when I dropped in to the South Main trail. My breathing was labored but nothing out the norm. If I had worked in some speed work, I probably wouldn't have felt this as bad. 

Out along the river, I felt a slight breeze. However, being coated with sweat, it hardly seemed to help. 

My legs felt heavy. I don't know if it was the conditions or the just to many miles lately. 

The little hill over by Weigh Station feels like a mountain. 

Under the power lines, my legs love the little downhill section. 

The course flattens out now so I am getting no help from gravity. 

I turn right on the Lake Loop. I know this trail like the back of my hand yet, I had nothing to leverage it. My legs felt heavy. 

I pop out of the woods. Nothing but gravel is between me and the finish line. I have to make one detour around the front side of the boat shed. The area is roped off. 

Willing my legs in an attempt to run faster is not happening. I usually am able to close well, but I cannot find it today. 

I round the channel and see the finish line flag. The seconds tick by faster my legs are turning over. 

I click my Garmin when I cross the finish line. I walked over to the tables and set down for a few minutes. I am wiped out.

After about 10 minutes, I stand up and go for a short cool down. 

With every race, I have a goal race time in mind whether I say it or not. Most of the time, this time is way inside my ability. But I am usually pretty happen if I match my times from previous runs. Today, I ran 48:27 so I was about 30 seconds slower than the last two months. I was a bit disappointed, but disappointment is not always a bad thing. Disappoint is fuel to drive me forward for the next race. Will see if it helps. 


The Cool Down Runner 


Comments

Popular Posts