Scooby Doo Virtual 5k

What I can I say. I grew up watching Scooby Doo on TV so when I got the opportunity to do a virtual 5k run for a Scooby Doo long sleeve shirt, I was down for it. I also got medal and a metal water bottle. 

I signed up the first of August but I was nearly 3 weeks getting it down. That's because I wanted to the WWC River Jam 5k course. With all the rain, they just reopened the trails yesterday. 

In truth, conditions were not ideal. Even a little after 7 AM, the weather was warm and super humid. 

Looking the times for their River Jam 5k, course I often wondered about the distance. Today, I found out that it was closer to 4 miles than 3. 

Leaving from the start, I was alone making my way around the channel. I pushed my sunglasses back on my head as I descended in to the woods. Dropping down to the South Main rail, I rolled my left ankle. Oh, did it hurt. I took a few tender steps while brain did its best to push the pain in to the back of my mind. 

Running along the quiet river bank is always nice. I wish sometimes that it would go on for miles and miles. 

Climbing the hill beside Weigh Station loop sweat run off my limbs. I tried to settle my breathing for a couple of reason. One, I was tired and getting worked overtime on this run. Two, I have done no speed work so my legs are unaccustomed to running this hard. 

Passing under the power lines, I seemed to be able to catch my breath. At least, I thought so. 

I worked the rest of the trail and popped out in to the parking lot by the Lake Loop. Clear sailing laid ahead. As hard as I tried to make my legs turn over faster, they wouldn't do it. 

My Garmin clicked 3 miles, and I realized that I had way more than a tenth to run 

I was committed to running to the flags no matter the distance. 

Rounding the curve, I could see the flags. I pushed for the finish. What a relief that it was to cross it. I stopped for a few seconds to allow my breathing to catch up to me. 

27 minutes and 6 seconds was my time. I feel that I can do better, but I need to get some speed back in to my legs. 

I guess that I need to starting about adding some intervals back into my training plan. 

Wish me luck. I am going to need it. 


The Cool Down Runner



Comments

Popular Posts