Moving the Needle

At this point in of the year, I am well in to my interval training. Typically, I am starting to see some moving of the needle toward the faster side of my interval splits. For some unknown reason, this just has not happened by a very large margin this year. At least it is not happening as much as it has happened in previous years. I do not know if this a side affect of getting older or if it is the result me training a little differently. Either way, I have been disappointed in my result so far.

So while I have been disappointed in my interval results, my tempo run has been just the opposite. I started running my 10 mile trail tempo run the first of December. I covered the course in say 97 minutes. Life was a little tougher at the time. I was carrying about 10 to 12 more pounds, and I was more interested in enjoying the holidays than focusing on speedwork.

The weeks clicked off, and by mid January, I was running about 85 to 87 minutes. The first of February, I started my intervals. I was still hovering in the 85 minute range.

More weeks clicked off, and I continued to run the same trail.

Then, a few weeks ago, I went out for a tempo run and was not expecting much. I was bouncing along the trail. I noticed that my legs felt good. I went 84 minutes for the run. The next week, I went 80 minutes. This past week, I went 79 minutes over the same trail that just 8 weeks ago, I was struggling to run 95 minutes.

Like I said, my intervals are not showing the promising results that I would normally expect, but obviously, it is helping. It is clear to see that my tempo are getting better. Now, I just need to translate this in to a race day effort.

Cross your fingers for me - please.

Kickin' up the trail dust,

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts