WWC River Jam 5kish - Sept Edition

 I ran the WWC River Jam 5kish race last night at the Whitewater Center. This was the last race in their summer series. 

They had a pretty decent turnout and were collecting sizes for the River Jam hoodies. Anyone running all 5 races gets River Jam Hoodie. I am looking forward to getting mine. They said that they would be in - in  few weeks. They will email us when they arrive. 

I was also looking forward to the cooler racing weather. 

As usual, the Mt. bikers headed off first, and as soon as the dust settled, we headed off. Both the 5k and 10k start at the same time. It creates some interesting racing tactics because runners are going different distances. 

I settled in with a familiar group and tried to hold on to them as long as possible. I was doing a pretty good job until we got on the far side of the course. There is a steep hill which always seems to be in the wrong place. Nate passed me and made a strong move when we topped the hill. I wanted to give chase but my legs were not having it. 

Nate and Jake pulled away. I was pretty much alone afterward. I finish all by myself. 

I finished in 26:27 and 4th overall. This was the same time as last month. I guess that I should be happy with it. The course changed slightly with a longer detour due to the new dog park being built where the Lake Loop use to be. I am really going to miss this trail. 

This placed me 1st in my age group for which I add another WWC hat to my collection. Yes, I have quite a few of them. Perks of racing there a lot. 

I also place 3rd overall in the River Jam 5k race series. Nate and I had went back and forth in a few races but I had just enough better finishes to out point him. For this, they gave me a Growler and day pass to the WWC. Sadly, the growler came empty. 

Really happy stepping down to the 5k this year. Furthermore, I really enjoyed the monthly Thursday nights at the WWC. Love getting a chance to hang out there. 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts