Tread Nightly 4 Miler

 I was back for the yearly Tread Nightly Race at the WWC. Dusk was just starting fall a little at 7pm. I watched the 1/2 marathoner go off. A couple of minutes after the last their last wave, the 4 milers headed out i.e. me. 

Launching off the starting line, I quickly realized that no one was going with me. By the time that I entered the trail, I was solo. This was a strange feeling since I don't get this much any more. 

I dropped on to South Main and then turned on to Carpet. I was looking back through the woods for the tattle tale signs of heads lamps. I didn't see any until I was about 1/2 through Carpet.

I was working one of the switch backs where I cross the bridges on Carpet when I missed seeing a hole and stepped in it. Immediately, I felt it in my ankle. I reached out to touch a tree to keep from falling. I slowed for a few strides since this happens more often that I care to admit on the trails. I continued on pushing through it. 

I could still feel it a mile later. In the back of mind, I knew that this wasn't one my normal walk it off ankle rolls. After cooling down, I went to where I could see well, and my ankle was already starting to swell. 

Well, that's was going to make things interesting since I was racing again tomorrow morning. 

I won the race race in 33:47 but paid dearly for it.  

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts