WWC Labor Day 5k Trail Race

 I couldn't miss a little pre-Labor Day racing and with a great opportunity to get in some trail running. And, of course, making it all the better, the temperature was awesome. 

There were some either college or high school runners at the starting line. I am not sure which, but they went out hard. 

We zipped down the South Main trail and over to Carpet Trail. I guess some of them figured out that this wasn't McAlpine. Definitely, the trail wasn't flat and most definitely, it wasn't smooth. I caught one guy who started walking and another one that was barely moving. And, yes, they were both breathing pretty hard. I caught another guy going up the Tower Trail and passed him just as we exited the woods. 

One other guy was in my sights, and I chased him down crossing the parking lot but then he pumped this arms going up the hill really hard. I had nothing left in my legs. He gapped me by 5 yards. I couldn't make a dent in to his lead all the way to the finish line. 

Remarkable how much better I feel when I am don't have tons of humidity. I feel like running instead of just slogging along dripping water. 

I finished in 22:39 for the 5k and won my age group. 

The WWC guys were on top of it as always. I picked up my bib at 7 am, started the race at 8 am, and by 9 am, I was standing at the awards. That's what I call efficient. 

Kudos to them.

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts