WWC River Jam - June Edition - 5K

 After the May River Jam race got canceled, I held my breathe that no afternoon thunderstorms would roll across Charlotte for a repeat occurrence here in June. 

Luck was on my side. The weather stayed dry just hot and humid. I feel like my summer heat acclamation has been slow this year. May seemed cooler than normal and so did the start of June. Only in the last week has the temperature and the humidity kicked up.

After the mt. bikers left and the dust had just barely settled, both the 5k and 10k races headed off. We started to string out as we ran around the channel.

I felt a little better once we got into the woods as the temperature dropped a few degrees. I was trying to stay with the runners in front of me. 

Every time that we popped out of the woods, I could feel the sun beating down on my shoulders. 

After about 2 miles, my legs just didn't seem to have any more bounce. The heat and humidity were certainly taking their toll. 

I was happy when we did the course split, and I didn't envy the 10k runners at all. I rounded the channel and was closing on a couple of guys, but I just ran out of race. As I think back, I should have run harder sooner. Hindsight is always 20-20. 

I finished in 26:44 and first in my age group. The course is long for the 5k. This point is very much evident when you realize that the Brew Dash 6k runs the same course. As long as everyone runs the same course does it matter in the end. No, it doesn't. 

The Cool Down Runner

 

Comments

Popular Posts