Sundown Trail 4 to 5 mile race

 Yesterday evening, I was at Ann Springs for the Fort Mill Running Club's Sundown Trail race. As I was driving down for the race, I was caught both in the evening traffic and terrible thunderstorm. I didn't know which I would get through first. 

Maybe it is no surprise, but it was the thunderstorm since the traffic was jammed up because of accident near Arrowwood Road. 

I am sure that you are wondering. Was the race muddy? Yes, it was super muddy. Plus, there was lots of just standing puddles. 

I went with my Hoka Speed Goats. The cleats stuck well and kept me from slipping and sliding at least most of the time. Surprisingly, I didn't go down. 

A couple of guys took off at the start leaving 3 of us to sort it out behind them. One got away from us around two miles into the race. The other guy and I went back forth. He made a strong push around 3 and 1/2 miles. I didn't could stay with him. He was just handling the technical trail better than I was. 

However, trail starts to smooth out over the last mile, and I closed up behind him. I passed him just before we crossed the stream. 

He stayed just off my left shoulder as we climbed the last hill back up to the cantina. In the back of my mind, this scenario always plays out the same. We top the hill, and I get out sprinted to the finish line. Besides, I am getting older so sprinting these days requires quotes around it aka "sprinting". 

Anyway, just before the top, the road incline lessons so I decide that this is where I make my stand. I take off without looking back. 

On this day, the odds tipped into my favor. I finished roughly about 5 seconds in front of him. 

True, we were sprinting for 4th place in a race which doesn't give any awards. But to me, I like to think that I give my best at every race. This way when I walk away from the race, I know gave all that I could, and I can be proud of the result. 

Time: 34:54

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts