Davidson Turkey Trot 5k Recap

 I was back in Davidson for their 5k Turkey Trot race. I enjoyed it last year, and I wanted to give it another go this year. 

The temperature was hovering right around freezing so worrying about getting hot wasn't really an issue. The first mile is fast. People go out really hard, I did my best to get included in this effort. The course settles down once on the greenway, but it then starts to push uphill upon leaving the greenway for some neighborhood streets. I settled in this group of 4 runners. I was hoping to get pulled along by them. They were doing a pretty good job for a while but on the 2nd long uphill, I pushed to the front of the group. I knew that I was likely going to pull them along but if they were not going push the pace, I wanted to at least make an effort to do so. 

With about 600 meters to go, we were running along one of the side streets when I started seeing deer dart across street in front of the runners. Dart is the right word here because if you were in their way, they were going to knock you to the ground. I found myself suddenly looking to my right and hoping to not get taken out by a deer. I guess luck was on my side as no deer cross my path. 

Back to the race, two the runners that I had been towing along made their sprint for the line right at the end. My legs didn't have anything additional to give. I was going flat out. They just beat me to the line. 

Again, this year, I enjoyed the race. I love getting in a Thanksgiving Day race. Then, I feel better about setting down to eat a big meal. 

Oh, I finished in 19:37 - better than last year, and I won my age group. I got a nice tumbler for my efforts. 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts