Springmaid 10K Trail Race @ Ann Springs Greenway

 Saturday morning, I was headed south on I-77 getting ready to pass by uptown Charlotte, when I ran in to a DOT road work section. Seems like someone didn't tell these guys that nearly 8+ k of runners was about to descend on the uptown area for the Charlotte Marathon. Hope they were finishing soon. 

Anyway, after this section, I easily made it to Ann Springs for my race. I was early but I wanted to be there early to see the start of the 1/2 marathon. Lucky, those guys were. The temperature was hovering around 31 degrees, and their course took them through the creek. Hope their socks were the quick dry type. 

Our 10k course stayed on this side of the creek. 

With the 1/2 marathoner out on the course, we got a chance to start about 45 minutes later. The temperature was better. At least it was now above freezing. 

Four of us headed down the gravel road to the trail. When no one made an attempt to take the lead in to the trail, I jumped at it. Everyone when single file behind me. We stayed bunched until we got to wagon wheel. Then, we reshuffle things. Another guy jumped into the lead. I was close behind until we hit the "Billy Walk" trail. He was more of a mountain goat and flew through it. I did my best, but I was losing ground to him. I think we turned on to Muscadine. Again, he was taking to the trail better than the rest of us. 

I think we dropped one guy, so it was just the two of us during the middle section of the race. I don't recall the trail name, but we encountered about 6 people riding horses. As luck would have it, 3 went to one side of the trail while 3 went to the other side. Meaning, we had to split between them. I slowed down to a walk. I didn't want any issues, and I certainly didn't want to get kicked. 

After this section, we pushed over to the far side of Ann Spring and picked up the Timberline Trail. Here, he passed me and was quickly making book down the trail. I guess maybe I was holding him up. 

The rest of the race was pretty much uneventful. I finished about 2 minutes behind the winner and 1 minute behind 2nd place. 

I was a little disappointed in my effort. I didn't think that I ran as well as I should have. My legs just didn't work well. I did run 45:24 and placed 3rd overall in the race, but I know that I have some work to do. 

Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts