EastBound 5k @ WWC

Dawn had yet to make its appearance when I pulled in to the WWC parking lot. I was going to need my head lamp to do some warmup miles if I wanted to do them on the trails. 

After changing over to my trail shoes, I checked my head lamp and headed off. Daylight really isn't making much of an appearance before about 7:45 in the mornings. Maybe even a few minutes later under the foliage. 

As we gathered around the start, Lauren gave us some prerace instructions. I like the fact that they separated out the 5k and 1/2 marathon starts. It just makes life easier. 

At 8 AM, we 5k runners rolled off the line. Guys were scamping. I finally settled in to about 6th in line as we entered the woods. This one young kid was holding us up, so I tried to make a pass him and another guy at the same time. I could only roll my eyes as they both tried speeding up. However, the roots and the rocks started to take their toll on them. I worked my way but them but by then, the leaders had disappeared into the woods.  

In a 5k, I doubt very much if I was going to make up the deficient. I settled in and run hard enough. 

The 5k course was the last couple of miles of East Main trail along with the gravel road to and from the Pavillon with a little addition that we ran behind the Pavillon before heading into the finish. By my Garmin, I had exactly 3.10 miles. Knowing how my Garmin measures on trails, I would say that it was easily 3.1+ miles. 

I ran 23:48 to place 3rd overall and first in the 51-60 age group. 

I like the East Bound concept for the 5k. I wonder what the 1/2 marathoner thought. They had to do 2 laps over East Main. That had to really test the legs. 

The Cool Down Runner

 

Comments

Popular Posts