Broad River Greenway 10 Miler

The week before, I was doing a little recon on the Broad River Greenway. A week later, I was back for the Broad River Greenway 10 Miler. 

I rolled into parking lot a little after 7 AM. They were already setup. I checked-in, grabbed my bib, and headed out for a few miles to get my legs warm. 

The race started down by the playground and headed upriver. They still use what I call the "Covid" starts where runners can go off anytime during a window of time. While I understand that at time and place these were needed, I feel like that time has passed. 

I waited until 8AM. I hoping to see a few more runners might be going off, so I was not totally solo on the course. When no one appeared, I headed out. Solo, it would be. 

Before they race, they told us that they reversed the direction of a loop section on the course. They assured me that it was well marked, and I should follow the signs. 

I got to the loop section, and the signs were pointed in the opposite direction to what they had told me. I knew it was a loop, but I was confused. Do I do what they told me, or do I follow the signs which they also told me to do. I settled on following the signs. Sure enough, I got halfway around the loop and saw more signs which agreed with what they originally told me. 

I went on with running the rest of the course which was well marked. Then, when I returned back to the loop, I went against the signs, so I completed the full course even though it was in the wrong direction. 

I ran 78:22 and 2nd overall. 

I really like the section down along the river. One can run about as hard as one wants.

From talking with others, quite few people had trouble following the signs. I don't know. By and large, the course was well marked - aside from the signs at the first turn. 

I would love to see them have a gun start instead of this spread-out start. I like to know who that I am running against. 

All in all, they have a nice little set of greenway trails which are only about an hour from Charlotte. Definitely worth checking them out. 


The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts